Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DEMCAD: If Disaster Strikes...



By Reginald Kaigler (DEMCAD)

No one knows what the future holds, but a wise person hopes for the best and perhaps the worse. I don't know if America will face a dollar crisis, major terrorist attack, financial collapse, economic collapse or an epic natural disaster. But I do know that I want to be prepared for whatever comes my way. Now, I am the first to admit that I am not as prepared as I would like to be. I am a very low-income prepper (one who prepares for emergencies), but I have been making progress over the last 2 years. I started by collecting cans of food.

I didn't go all in, but I did buy some extra cans every time I went to the grocery store. I made sure I had plenty of fruits, vegetables, corn beef harsh, beans, chili, fish and chicken in a can. I never got around to canning my own food, but I've at least set a foundation for my survival. Next, I started to save my V8 bottles and fill them up with water. I stored them in my refrigerator, as I still do, and later bought large containers from Walmart and filled them with water.

The next step was to acquire a firearm. I started off with a Mossberg 500 for home defense and bought a Glock 21 (chambered in .45 caliber) for personal protection.

I also created an emergency bag (aka bug out bag) so that if I ever had to left my home, I would have the basic necessities. I tested some of this gear in the woods of Ketchikan, Alaska, so I know what works and what doesn't.

I used a rope to tie my sleeping bag (rated for 15 degrees) and three person tent to my external frame backpack. Inside the bag, I have a water filter, dry foods, magnesium fire starter, fishing line, fish hook, waterproof matches, a long lighter, small lighters, camp soap, canteen filled with water, knife and a multi-tool.

I'm currently looking for medicines to store. And I'm also considering buying a rifle for hunting. Like I said, my preparation is not perfect, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to sit on my ass and hope everything works out. I'm not saying that you should become a survivalist, but you must take basic steps to protect yourself and your family against disaster.

Note: You can find more social and political commentary on my youtube channel (DEMCAD).

Youtube Channels
DEMCAD
DEMCAD2

Blip.tv Channel
DEMCAD

You can also find me on

Facebook

Twitter

2 comments:

  1. It may sound kooky, but you can score a lot of what would normally be "prescription" antibiotics at your local pet store. Check the fish section, amoxicillin and cipro usually can be found there. Good stuff to have if you really really need it, but don't have access to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you filling the dirty bathtub. Try waterbob.com $20 for one or $16 for 5. Very cheap. I don't work for them, just happy I bought this at a cheap price compared to a 55 gallon drum for $100.

    ReplyDelete