Saturday, January 23, 2010

High drama in Spokane!



High drama in Spokane. Meryl Davis and Charlie White beat their role models Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosta to become the two-time U.S. Ice Dance Champions.

Meanwhile, Two time Olympian Sasha Cohen made a dramatic comeback to challenge the young American ladies. I must say that although her mediocre performance during the Free Skate was disappointing, I found myself quietly rooting for her. She's 25 years old (a dinosaur by figure skating standards) and had battled several serious injuries to finish 4th in the U.S. Figure Skating Championship. Nevertheless, it took a lot of guts to come back to figure skating after a 4 year absence and I have nothing be respect for her.



Reigning Ladies Champion Alissa Czisny struggled as well. But I have to say that her raw emotions on the ice is one of the reasons why I still watch figure skating. She really knows how to make you love her. And that's not something that can be taught.



High school senior, Rachael Flatt, re-enforced his title as the princess of consistency by blowing by the entire field in the Free Skate. I know I'm going to catch a lot of flank for saying this, but I wish Ashley Wagner had won. What can I say, she's hot! Granted, she's not as talented or as consistent as Flatt, but she's still a good skater with plenty of heart.



Plus, I don't think the U.S. can win in Vancouver if we don't have a lady skater who can excel artistically.

Now, am I saying that I don't like Flatt? No!
She's a wonderful skater, a good jumper and very reliable.



But I think if you look at the pasT Olympic champions, you'll see that they all had a stronger artistic expression than Flatt. Granted, the scoring system has changed, but I don't see an American lady winning unless she can make us love her.

Maybe by the time Flatt is done, she'll do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment